Blue Card: your way to Europe

April 1, 2012 | By | 3 Replies More

This post is for non EU citizens wishing to work in the EU.

The Blue Card gives entry into the EU for highly qualified workers who are not EU residents, by offering a 2 year work permit. You need a job offer of at least 1 year’s duration from an EU based company to apply.

If you are a non-EU national wishing to relocate to the EU try to qualify for a Blue Card

For ‘highly qualified’ workers who are not EU nationals, the EU issued a Blue Card Directive in 2009 (Directive 2009/50/EC) which had until 19th June 2011 to become a law in all EU member states except Denmark, the UK, and Ireland.

The scheme is intended to fill gaps in companies’ workforces, that cannot be filled by their own nationals or others legally resident in the EU.

The Blue Card provides a common and simplified procedure that ensures a non-EU worker knows what they need to do to gain entry to whichever EU member state they are planning to go to, rather than having to face 24 different systems.

It also establishes a fast-track admission procedure for those foreigners, and ensures a common set of social and economic rights.

Once the Blue Card has been granted the applicant gets entitlement to many other EU benefits;

- after 2 years you can apply freely for any job opening in that country

- after 2 years you can also move freely within the EU for work

- you acquire preferential rights for acquiring long term resident status and for family reunification

You may qualify to enter an EU country’s workforce under their own system of residency permits, but you will not acquire all the rights above without a Blue Card, specifically the opportunity to move within the EU easily.

Austria, Cyprus and Greece have not yet (27 February 2012) brought the Directive into Law in their countries, and have been asked by the European Commission to do so.

To apply for a Blue Card you need to;

- Show that you have a job offer or work contract for highly qualified employment for 1 year minimum from an EU member state

- Provide proof that you have the required qualifications for the position

- Provide proof of a valid travel document, together with relevant visas if required by the memebr state

- Provide proof of sickness insurance if the job contract does not entitle you to cover

- Not pose a threat to public policy, security or health.

In addition the gross annual salary of the position should be at least equal to 1.5 times the average gross salary in the member state, and may need to be higher, as each member state can set a figure above this level as the acceptable minimum wage to qualify. (There are some exceptions to this , where the threshold is 1.2 times average salary, but those professions must have been declared in advance to the European Commission).

Tags: , , , ,

Category: Business and Working Abroad

About the Author ()

Comments (3)

Trackback URL | Comments RSS Feed

Sites That Link to this Post

  1. Tips on Finding Work in France | Moving Abroad | June 19, 2012
  1. arpan says:

    Hi , nice information.
    But i have a question :

    - Show that you have a job offer or work contract for highly qualified employment for 1 year minimum from an EU member state

    * how can I apply for a job in EU sitting in Non EU country? And what are the possibilities that companies know about EUBlue card?

  2. lemanieg says:

    Dear Arpan

    Thanks for your comment. I asked myself that very same question.. I think the contract point obviously is aimed at either workers already working in an international company who are being transferred internally to a European country, OR, to those specialised jobs which will be hard to fill in certain countries, where it will definitely be known by the companies that if they can find a suitable person abroad, then they can offer them a work contract. They may not know about the Blue card scheme itself, but they will know if they can offer a contract to a foreign worker, and then YOU can do the application work necessary for the Blue card scheme.

Leave a Reply